Parboiled "1": status as of today? Possibility of a fork?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
fge
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Parboiled "1": status as of today? Possibility of a fork?

fge
Hello,

Since I am one user unwilling to go Scala and that only parboiled1
supports Java, I would like to know the status of parboiled1?

I understand development has completely stopped, but what about maintenance?

My goal is to create a github organization around parboiled1 so that
Java users willing to use parboiled will have an easier time. In this
organization, in particular, I wish to:

* ease parboiled1 development;
* provide a separate package for examples;
* maintain scala support as long as scala users won't have switched to
parboiled2, in a separate package;
* others.

Note that my intent is to _create_ the organization. I can do some of
the stuff above by, for instance, switching from sbt to gradle (which
makes it very easy for development thanks to its wrapper), splitting
projects etc; but I am not a wizard at parsing. I will happily give
the reins of the organizations to people more knowledgeable than I am
about the matter at hand...

But before I take the plunge:

* Name? Parboiled2 will be a different beast; I would _of course_
highlight this fact in the READMEs, but would parboiled1 hurt
parboiled2?
* A lot of work has been done on the wiki to provide documentation:
can this be salvaged?
* Other points I have failed to consider?

Thank you for reading so far,
--
Francis Galiegue, [hidden email]
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Parboiled "1": status as of today? Possibility of a fork?

mathias
Administrator
Francis,

I like the idea of opening up parboiled1 development to the community even further.
(Note that there is nothing preventing people from contributing right now, I’d be happy to help review and merge PRs).

So, moving the project into a github organization would not be a problem.
However, in the last 3 years I don’t believe parboiled has received one single PR that actually proposed code changes (rather than build infrastructure or examples).
I’m not sure that there actually *are* people who would want to take the reigns of advancing development with new features (e.g. support for Java 8 lambdas).

> In this
> organization, in particular, I wish to:
>
> * ease parboiled1 development;

How is it difficult right now, or asked differently, what exactly would be improved?

> * provide a separate package for examples;

Ok.

> * maintain scala support as long as scala users won't have switched to
> parboiled2, in a separate package;

I think this should be cleared from your list.
For parboiled 1.x going forward I would actually try to simplify things and entirely *remove* support for Scala.
The Scala development cycles are much smaller and it will be quite some work to keep parboiled-for-Scala 1.x up-to-date and relevant.
parboiled2 is supposed to completely supersede and replace parboiled-for-Scala 1.x, so there really shouldn’t be any point in keeping the latter around.

> But before I take the plunge:
>
> * Name? Parboiled2 will be a different beast; I would _of course_
> highlight this fact in the READMEs, but would parboiled1 hurt
> parboiled2?

I don’t think it would hurt the project. Au contraire, it might even benefit from a joint `parboiled` github organization, which holds *both* projects, pb1 and pb2.

> * A lot of work has been done on the wiki to provide documentation:
> can this be salvaged?

I don’t see why not.

> * Other points I have failed to consider?

My point would be that merely transferring github ownership to an organisation wouldn’t generate any more contributions or facilitate development actually moving forward.
Someone will have to actually *do* it.

Currently I don’t see anyone who’d be willing to really take this on.

Cheers,
Mathias

---
[hidden email]
http://www.parboiled.org

On 9 Apr 2014, at 18:12, fge [via parboiled users] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since I am one user unwilling to go Scala and that only parboiled1
> supports Java, I would like to know the status of parboiled1?
>
> I understand development has completely stopped, but what about maintenance?
>
> My goal is to create a github organization around parboiled1 so that
> Java users willing to use parboiled will have an easier time. In this
> organization, in particular, I wish to:
>
> * ease parboiled1 development;
> * provide a separate package for examples;
> * maintain scala support as long as scala users won't have switched to
> parboiled2, in a separate package;
> * others.
>
> Note that my intent is to _create_ the organization. I can do some of
> the stuff above by, for instance, switching from sbt to gradle (which
> makes it very easy for development thanks to its wrapper), splitting
> projects etc; but I am not a wizard at parsing. I will happily give
> the reins of the organizations to people more knowledgeable than I am
> about the matter at hand...
>
> But before I take the plunge:
>
> * Name? Parboiled2 will be a different beast; I would _of course_
> highlight this fact in the READMEs, but would parboiled1 hurt
> parboiled2?
> * A lot of work has been done on the wiki to provide documentation:
> can this be salvaged?
> * Other points I have failed to consider?
>
> Thank you for reading so far,
> --
> Francis Galiegue, [hidden email]
> JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com
>
>
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> http://users.parboiled.org/Parboiled-1-status-as-of-today-Possibility-of-a-fork-tp4024289.html
> To start a new topic under parboiled users, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from parboiled users, click here.
> NAML

fge
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Parboiled "1": status as of today? Possibility of a fork?

fge
Hello!

Here we are: https://github.com/parboiled1

What has been done so far is:

* split -core, -java, -examples;
* switch to gradle;
* drop scala support.

All tests pass ;) However Java 8 doesn't work.

Mathias, first of all, I bow to you for this amazing piece of
software; and the split was surprisingly easy, so this is an excellent
surprise.

Now, let development begin!

--
Francis Galiegue, [hidden email]
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com
Loading...